Saturday, January 11, 2014

Polar Star-Book Talk

Polar Star
Martin Cruz Smith
Fiction/Murder Mystery



Polar Star is the sequel to Gorky Park, a book I have never read, and reading this book with out reading the first has not really harmed my enjoyment of this book. Polar Star follows Arkady Renko, a former Moscow investigator before some events caused him to lose his party membership and end up on the factory ship, the Polar Star, which is working in the Bearing Sea with some american vessels. All seems normal until one of the ships crew, Zina Patiashvili comes up in the days catch. The captain and crew seem content to write it off as a suicide, despite obvious evidence of foul play. Arkady is thrust into some -dare I say- Fishy situations where he discovers evidence of some larger plot behind all of this. This book is quite adult in both language and situations described. I do recommend this book, if you think you are ready.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read many books in this genera, and they always seem like they would be good. I enjoy watching TV series and movies where the protagonist doesn't know the 'whole story,' so I might start my book-reading of this category with this book.

    ReplyDelete